Thursday, January 26, 2012

Optical drive arrangement

The Optiplex 760 comes with a slimline optical drive that looks like this:



My plan is to have this working as well as 2 hard drives.  The Optiplex 760 only comes with 2 SATA ports, one of which is occupied by this drive.  However, I discovered that there is an internal USB connector on the motherboard of this model, seen as point 11 below:


I bought a slimline SATA to USB adapter, and along with another USB adapter I had sitting around from a project long-abandoned, I hooked them up and connected them to the motherboard:


Fired up the machine and...it didn't work.  I re-seated the plug and it booted but then I didn't have a picture on my monitor when I got into Windows.  I thought it might still be loose, so I re-seated both ends again, and voila, booted up fine and the optical drive is now recognized as a removable CD drive.  Cool!

3 comments:

  1. What was the other usb adapter that you need to get the optical drive running off the internal usb?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a female USB to 4pin adapter, looks just like this:

      http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5567925&csid=_61

      Delete
  2. After looking at my optical drive it turns out it is non slimline. This is because i have the desktop optiplex 760. Do you think a standard size odd can still be powered off usb?

    ReplyDelete