Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Processor upgrade

Ok, first thing is to change out this processor as I'm still waiting for a couple of parts.  2 screws and the entire heatsink apparatus lifts off the motherboard.  No problem.  I cleaned off the 8400 with some isopropyl alcohol (70%) and dropped it in the socket.  Next, I spread on some Arctic Cooling MX-2 thermal compound that I just bought.  Nice.  Popped the heatsink back in, fired up the machine, and...it works!  I wasn't too sure if this processor would work as the machine it was in was treated REALLY roughly.  Good stuff.  The processor runs at 31°idle according to CoreTemp.  If that is indeed the actual temperature, then I'm definitely satisfied with it.


Processor upgrade successful!

5 comments:

  1. Hi Adam,

    Firstly, great series of posts! Really got my inspiration flowing and in fact, I'm in the middle of upgrading a 760 now based on your results. Quick question though, Ive got an 8400 CPU also but mine is giving me a WEI score of 3.2 - any ideas why I'm getting such a low processor score with the same CPU as you????

    Thanks,

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe there is a CPU-related setting in your BIOS that was changed? I would try to reset the BIOS to defaults and see if that changed anything. Also, upgrade your BIOS to the latest version, it's available at the Dell site.

      Delete
  2. Awesome - thanks for the quick response. Will give that a try and see how i get on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i just ordered a 760 sff, it has a esata port on the back, do you not have this?

    ReplyDelete