Sunday, October 26, 2014

Case fan replacement

It's been a while since I've updated here.  Here's what's new.

I've decided to upgrade the case fan since I find it to be a little noisy at times.  I'm going to go with the newly released Noctua NF-A8 fan.  This is a 80x80x25mm fan.  The fan that comes included with the Optiplex 760 SFF measures at 80x80x38mm, so I'm hoping that I won't have any problems mounting it.  My goal is to have a more silent fan while still being able to push enough air to cool the CPU.  Notcua fans are known for their performance, silent, and reliability.  I hope I've hit the mark here.

Noctua NF-A8

One other thing to mention is that this is a PWM fan, which means that it has a 4 pin connector.  The Dell motherboard has a proprietary 5 pin connector, so this fan is not going to work out of the box.  I've also ordered an adapter cable, model number CB-PWM-D5.







No comments:

Post a Comment